Monday, June 21, 2010

Roasted Cornish Hens with Grapes


I love Cornish hens.  Everyone gets their own bird and they just look delicious!  Many people don't think to cook them because they don't see them at the grocery next to the pork, chicken and beef.  These are sold in the frozen section (I got these at Jewel, they came in a pack of 2).  Usually when I make these I also make a cornbread stuffing with it, so when I saw this recipe in my Everyday Food Great Food Fast cookbook I had to try it!  It did not disappoint!


I washed 1 1/2 pounds of red grapes and peeled the outside skin off of 8 shallots.  Place them on a large sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil and add salt & pepper.   

FYI:  a shallot type is a type of onion plant producing small clustered mild-flavored bulbs (shaped like a clove of garlic, but much larger).  They are usually sold packaged in the produce area, near the onions and garlic.


I removed the Cornish hens from the packages, rinsed them inside and out, and laid them on a paper towel.  I used another towel to dry the tops. 


Tie the legs together using kitchen twine.  I also like to tuck the wings under so they do not burn.  Season the birds with salt, pepper, fresh thyme and your favorite dried seasonings.  Place them on top of the grapes and shallots to roast at 450 degrees for 30-35 minutes.


Here is what they look like when they come out of the oven.  Check the thickest part of the meat to be sure it registers 160 degrees.  If it is a little under, I let them set tinted with foil and they will continue to cook to the needed temp.  If they are overcooked, they become dry, so I pay attention to the temperature as they are cooking with a digital thermometer.


When you are about to plate the hens, don't forget to remove the twine.  I use kitchen shears or a knife for this.  Serve each hen on a bed of grapes and shallots.  Pour broth on top of the chicken.  I also serve remaining broth in a gravy boat in case someone wants more.


We had ours with broccoli.  The boys loved having their own "chicken" to eat. 

I found the recipe on the Everyday Food website.  Click the link below to get the full recipe:

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting I am going to try this recipe for CHristmas dinner. Florence

    ReplyDelete