Monday, June 7, 2010

Caprese Tart and Roasted Chicken in Creamy Tarragon Sauce


I found this recipe at one of the blogs I follow:  The Runaway Spoon.  I have a garden every year and I am always looking for gret recipes to use tomatoes.  I love Caprese salad, so this twist on it makes me happy.  My family loved it so much that EVERYONE had seconds...and fought over the leftovers! 


The first step is to cut a hole into each tomato and take out the seeds and pulp.  I used a small paring knife.


Next you turn them upside down onto a paper towel to drain.


Rinse and drain fresh basil leaves.  These came from my garden.


Grate the Parmesan cheese.  I used a small food processor to to this. 


Add the pine nuts to the Parmesan cheese.  I took a picture of this bottle so you can see what you are searching for in the grocery store.  It is usually found with the Italian ingredients down the pasta isle or specialty isle.


Add the basil leaves.


Add an egg, ricotta cheese, salt and pepper.


Unfold the puff pastry and lay onto floured surface.  Use rolling pin to roll seams together.


Fit the pastry into the bottom of the pan and cut off the excess.  Dock the dough with a fork.


Spread the cheese and basil mixture on top of the dough.


Cube fresh mozzarella cheese and stuff each tomato with one cube.  Place the stuffed tomatoes into the cheese mixture.


Drizzle the top with olive oil and cook in the oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes.


Remove from oven and let cool for15 minutes.


I picked some fresh tarragon and chives from the garden.  Simply wash them and set aside on a paper towel.


Take off the taragon leaves and chop the herbs.


Add the herbs to a half stick of room temperature butter.


I cut a whole chicken into pieces and seasoned with salt and pepper.  Rub the butter mixture under the skin and roast in the oven at 450 for about 25 minutes. 


Place the chicken onto a platter and cover with foil.  Drain most of the juices out of the pan.  Place the roasting pan on a burner and add cream and tarragon leaves to it.  Place into the oven until it thickens. 


Pour on top of the cooked chicken.


Serve with tomato tart and small salad.

To get the Caprese Tart recipe go to: 

The chicken recipe is found in Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home cookbook. 









No comments:

Post a Comment