Thursday, June 17, 2010

Chicken Chilaquiles


The first time I read this recipe I thought, tortilla chips?  I'm am not a chip person so this didn't appeal to me, but when I looked at the other ingredients and my husband said, "that looks good" when I was flipping through recipes I figured I'd give it a try. 


First you saute garlic in 1 tablespoon of oil for a couple of minutes. Add a can of tomatoes with puree (breaking up the whole tomatoes as you put them into the pan--this gets messy!). Add 1 C water, chipotle chillies and salt. Simmer 6-8 minutes until thickened.


In case you don't know what you are looking for when I say Chipotle, here is what I used.  Now I use chipotle seasoning a lot, but these are SPICY so be careful.  If you are not a spicy food lover you can skip them altogether.  Next time around I will only use one.  My youngest son (5) couldn't stand the heat, but my 9 year old made it through...with lots of water and a bribe of homemade ice cream sandwiches.  I'm just sayin', they're hot!

While the sauce is simmering, debone a small roasted chicken.  You will need about four cups for the dish.  Shred the chicken into pieces and when the sauce is ready, add them to the sauce.  You can save time by getting a rotisserie chicken from the store.  I just used my baker and cooked one in the microwave for 30 minutes.  Fast and easy.  Cheaper too.


To serve place tortilla chips at the bottom of the bowl/plate, layer with tomato/chicken mixture, sour cream, crumbled feta cheese and chopped cilantro.

This recipe came from Everyday Food's Good Food Fast cookbook.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment