Sunday, June 13, 2010

Billie's Strawberry Bread


This recipe came from my good friend and Chef, Billie.  She has her own food blog The Tipsy Gourmet which is where I saw this recipe.  I looked through countless cookbooks for strawberry bread recipes and found NONE.  I usually like to look at a few different recipes and do my own variation.  This recipe is all hers...except I added the pretty strawberries on top.  Here's what I did:

 

Start by hulling the strawberries.  I do cooking shows and everyone always asks me what that is, so I am going to show you.  You are just taking the top and pulp from the strawberry.  The pulp is the white part inside that doesn't taste like anything really.

 

If you have a "huller" it makes the job easier, but you can also use a paring knife to do the same job.


I like to use an egg slicer to slice my strawberries.  It is just so much easier and less time consuming then cutting them all individually.  You could use a paring knife for this as well.


For those not familiar with an egg slicer, it cuts the fruit in perfectly thin slices.  It is good for eggs, mushrooms, olives, whatever you want to slice thin.


Mix dry ingredients and set aside.


Beat eggs and add vegetable oil.


Add sliced strawberries.


Mix the wet into the dry ingredients.


Looks delicious!


Spray two loaf pans.  I use a misto spray as Pam can sometimes leave a residue when you use it in baking.  The misto can is a pump that allows you to use whatever kind of oil you like and spray it like an aerosol can without the added junk they put in Pam.  (Don't get me wrong, I do use Pam for on top of the stove, but not in the stove...again because of the film that my bakeware sometime acquires from it.)


Pour the batter into the loaf pans evenly.  I sliced extra berries to put on top.  I was going to do the entire loaf, but thought I would try it this way first in case the berries burned.  I like to have on the outside what is inside so people know what they are eating.  Plus it's just pretty!  :)


Here is the finished product. I ended up adding some baking time.  The middle didn't seem quite done where I placed the strawberries.  I think it was an extra 20 minutes.  Enjoy the recipe and be sure to let The Tipsy Gourmet know how much you love it!

Billie's Strawberry Bread
from The Tipsy Gourmet blog

2 cups sliced strawberries- add a little sugar to macerate- set aside
3 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 TB cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Mix all dry ingredients and set aside
4 eggs- whisked
1 1/4 cup veg oil-

Mix these together and add to strawberries- then add in the dry ingredients and mix just until all is moist. You can add in 1 1/4 cups of nuts at this point- I like walnuts.
Divide evenly into 2- 5x9 Greased Loaf Pans and Bake @ 350* for 45-50 minutes. Cool cakes for 10 minutes in pans- then turn out onto cooling rack and let them finish cooling. My never stay whole during cool-down time. Super yummy when it is still hot with a little butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment