Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Shrimp Shau Mai and Mushroom Dumplings

 

My 5 year old, Marcus, LOVES dumplings.  This came about after a trip to House of Kobe for my birthday, followed by Kung Fu Panda.  There is a previous post of Kung Fu Panda night on my blog.  The boys loved it!  So from time to time, I will endure making homemade dumplings to make my boys happy.  Here is how you can enjoy them too:


Start by sauteing onions and mushrooms that you have finely chopped.  I used a food chopper this time around to chop up all of my ingredients and it went a lot faster.  Wish I used it the first time around!  This mushroom saute is for the mushroom dumplings.


Add cheese, chives, parsley, salt and pepper.  Allow to cool.


For the shrimp dumplings, you chop water chestnuts, scallions and shrimp.  Mix them in a bowl so that the ingredients are evenly distributed.


Here is the steamer I use.  (I cannot get the picture to post right side up...again.  Thanks blogger.)  Anyway, you place this onto a wok with water in the bottom and it steams whatever you are cooking inside.


I line the steamer with cheese cloth.  I just cut it to fit the inside of the bamboo steamer.  Next time I will spray it with pam.  If you remove them right away they don't stick, but if they lose the steam underneath they start to stick...very quickly.


Here is a look at everything set up and ready to start the dumplings.  I use wanton wrappers that you can purchase in the grocery store in the produce area.


Here is a look at the dumplings with about a teaspoon of mushroom into the middle.  Take a brush and dip into water and wet around the outside of the square so that they will adhere when you fold it over.


Fold into a triangle and gently press the edges to seal the ingredients inside.


Wet the outside of the triangle and press the ends together.


Place them into the steamer.


Here are the bamboo steamers filled with dumplings.


This is what it looks like after it has been steamed for 6-8 minutes.


I cooked brown rice and heated a steamer bag filled with stir fry veggies to serve with it.  I have a microwavable rice cooker, so all I have to do is put the ingredients inside and start the microwave.  Super easy.  I added sat, pepper, ginger and soy sauce.


To cook the shrimp dumplings I put them into a pot of chicken broth to cook, along with broccoli and mushrooms I sliced.  I also boiled cellophane noodles to serve in the soup....since that is what Marcus wanted.


Here is how it all came together.


The Shrimp Shau Mai recipe came from http://www.marthastewart.com/.  She has them steamed and served with a sauce.  We did that last time, so I changed it a bit.  The Mushroom Dumplings came from Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment