Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Roasted Shrimp with Quinoa Blackbean Salad and Broccoli


Are you saying, "what is quinoa?"

"Quinoa is pronounced as KEEN-WAH.  Quinoa is 100% whole grain and is close to being a perfect food source in the balance of nutrition it provides. Technically it's not a grain but the seed of a leafy plant related to spinach. Quinoa is an excellent source of protein - 12% to 18%" (source: quinoarecipes.com).

Go to link http://www.quinoarecipes.com/index.html for more information and fantastic recipes that use quinoa. 

My all time favorite quinoa recipe is Quinoa Black Bean Salad from Clean Eating Magazine.  I will post the recipe at the end for you to try for yourself! 



My 9 year old loves the quinoa so much he will even take it to school. It can be served hot, at room temperature or chilled. It is good any way you want it!

I roasted shrimp in the oven for this meal.  I had seen Ina Garten (The Barefoot Contessa) do it on one of her shows and I had the cookbook on hand to get the accurate oven temp.  It is so easy!  And you don't have to stand over the shrimp watching them so they don't overcook, or even flip them!  Place your shrimp on a sheet pan.  Sprinkle with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper and make sure they are evenly coated.  Place sheet pan in a 400 degree oven for 8-10 minutes.  Take them out and they are PERFECT!!!



I also steamed fresh broccoli as a side.  Delish!! 

Give it a try.  This is so good for you and will be a winner for anyone you cook it for.  You can even entertain them with some fun quinoa facts! 

Quinoa Black Bean Salad
serves 6

Ingredients
1 cup quinoa, washed and drained  (mine is prepackaged, so I skip this)
2 cups water  (I used chicken broth, I think it adds more flavor)
1/4 cup olive oil  (oops, just realized I forgot this..still was good!)
Juice of 2 fresh limes  (I used lemon, that was what I had in the fridge)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes  (I usually omit this because of the kids, and did so today)
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes cut in half  (I substituted sundried tomatoes, the fresh ones are better in this recipe for sure, but it was still good!)
5 green onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions
Wash and rinse quinoa.  In a saucepan, bring quinoa and water to a boil.  Reduce to simmer, cover and cook until all the water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes.  Let cool.  (I like it served warm.)

In a bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, cumin and red pepper flakes.  (I told you I forgot the EVOO and omitted the flakes.)

Combine quinoa, beans, tomatoes and onions in a large bowl.

Drizzle dressing over salad and toss in cilantro.  Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment