Sunday, April 25, 2010

Chicken Parmesan and Whole Wheat Couscous with Sauted Veggies


Chicken Parmesan does NOT have to be served with marinara and pasta!  In fact, in our house we never have it that way!  And it really isn't that complicated.  If you use chicken cutlets, that is the easiest, but if you don't have them on hand, you can take any frozen/fresh chicken breast that you have in the kitchen.  I used frozen chicken breast that I had defrosted.  Here is what I did:

Pound the chicken breasts flat.  I do this in a gallon size ziplock bag so that it doesn't make a huge mess. 

Make three plates/bowls/trays of flour, egg and breadcrumbs.  I sprinkle the flour with salt and pepper, place a chicken breast in it, season the breast with salt and pepper, and then turn it to coat the other side with flour.

Dip into egg.  This can be a couple of eggs scrambled or egg whites.  I always have egg whites on hand, so I just pour out some of that into a coating tray. Make sure egg coating is on both sides of the chicken.

Next dip into bread crumb tray.  I use italian style. 

Once you have coated all of the chicken breasts, heat up a large skillet with 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.  Once butter is melted, place chicken into the pan and brown on both sides.  I usually set the oven to 200 degrees and put the cooked chicken onto a sheet pan in the oven to stay warm while I continue to cook the next batch.  Once they are in the oven, you can put freshly grated parmesan cheese on top.

For the couscous, you simple boil 1 1/2 cup liquid and then turn off the burner.  I use chicken broth instead of water to give it more flavor.  Add 1 cup of couscous and cover.  Easy!  I doubled this.  I also sauted veggies I had on hand:  onion, red pepper, and mushrooms.  You can add whatever you like! 

Once the veggies are cooked, remove from heat.  Fluff couscous with a fork.  Serve your couscous with sauted veggies on top!  Really easy and really delicious!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment