Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Grilled Flank Steak and Oven Fries


I have been making this for years!  It is one of the easiest meats to cook.  The key is to marinate.  I have had an old Betty Crocker cookbook since I graduated from college.  My mom got it for me back then, and it has been the book I turn to when I cannot find exactly what I want in my favorite new cookbooks.

The flank steak only takes about 4 minutes on each side.  You just have to marinate it to make it tender.  The easiest marinade I have found is in the Betty Crocker's New Cookbook (1996).  I will post the recipe at the end of this post.

When the kids were young and they wanted fries I refused to go the fast food route.  I started making oven fries and I never went back.  They are an awesome accompanyment to a lot of meats.  You simply set the oven to 425, cut potatoes into wedges (I use 4 or 5 depending on the size), drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper, and then dry seasoning of your choice (I used a rosemary seasoning this time, but I love Herbs de Provence). 


Here are the potatoes before I put them into the oven.


And here they are after they come out with the flank steak!  Mmmmm.


You know me, I alway have to serve something green on the table!  :)

The fries bake about 15 minutes on each side.  I usually do closer to 20 because the boys in my house like them cruchy.  You will have to flip them once during cooking time.  You will see how they are cooking and used your judgement to see when to take them out.  It's simple...really.



Give it a whirl!

Herb-Marinated Flank Steak
Betty Crocker's New Cookbook (1996)

1 1/2 - 2 lbs flank steak
2 tablespoons lemon juice (I was out of lemons and substituted OJ)
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (I used a dry)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed (oops, I forgot this)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 clove garlic, finely chopped

Make cuts about 1/2 inch apart in 1/4 inch deep in a diamond pattern in both sides of beef.

Mix remaining ingredients; rub into beef.  Place in a plastic bag or shallow glass baking dish.  Fasten bag securely or cover dish with plastic wrap.  Refrigerate at least 5 hours but no longer than 24.

Set oven control to Broil.  (I cooked it in my grill pan.  I've also cooked it on the outdoor grill too.) 

Place beef on rack in broiler pan.  Line with foil for easy clean up.  Broil beef with top 2-3 inches from heat about 5 minutes or until brow.  Turn; broil 5 minutes longer for medium-rare to medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment