Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Double Vanilla Meringues

Meringues...

Can you believe I've never made meringues before?  I know, you are thinking, "seriously, Martha Wanna Be?"  I have read a thousand recipes for meringues, yet never attempted.  I thought they'd be to hard, I guess.  These have only 13 calories and ZERO fat.  Plus they are DELICIOUS!!!

I was extremely wrong.  They ARE easy.  I even made them while talking on the phone to my fellow food blogger...The Tipsy Gourmet.  It's basically egg whites and sugar.  Yep, that's about it!  Well, a little vanilla and cream of tarter, but THAT'S IT!

So here is what I did:


 

I put the egg whites and cream of tarter into the kitchen aid mixer and beat until soft peaks formed.  Then I added sugar until stiff peaks formed.  When I asked the Tipsy Gourmet how to know it's just right, she said to turn the bowl upside down.  It didn't fall out...so I was good!  I then added the vanilla bean seeds and the extract until mixed through. 

Those of you who know me, know I do cooking shows and sell Fantastic Kitchen Tools.  Well, I have a few things still in boxes that I have yet to use.  I hear people rave about the easy accent decorator all the time.  I decided to give it a go.  I used the largest star tip, loaded all the meringue into the tube and began making meringues.  I piped them onto a cooking sheet lined with parchment paper.  I piped a whole pan in less than a minute.  The decorator made it extremely simple.  You can also use a piping bag or ziplock bag.


 

This is right before baking.  I almost forgot to take a pic, so that is why they are already in the oven.  Don't they look great?



So they bake in the oven on a low temperature for 1 1/2 hours, then turn off the oven and let them set in there another 1 1/2 hours.  I was home cleaning today, so no biggie. 



I could hardly wait to try these.  They look great, they smell grate...I'm impressed with myself at this point!  Then I taste one....oh my.  So good.  Can't wait to share them with friends on Saturday.  They keep for two weeks in an airtight container.

I cannot wait to try differnt variations.  I am thinking of adding strawberry jam so they will be pink and have another flavor.  I'll let you know what I decide when I show you all the goodies I make for my get together on Saturday.  Want a yummy, light cookie?  Give this a try!!!!

Double Vanilla Meringues
from Cooking Light Magazine

Ingredients

1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise (I got a great deal on these at costco)
4 large egg whites (I used the boxed kind, as I already had it on hand)
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
1/2 cup grandulated sugar
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat oven to 225 degrees F.

Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.  (I used one large and two medium)

Place egg whites and cream of tarter in a large bowl, beat with a mixer at medium speed until soft peaks form.  Increase speed to high, and gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.  Add vanilla seeds and extract, beat just until blended.

Spoon batter into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.  Pipe 60 mounds onto prepared baking sheets.  (You can use a ziplock bag, or accent decorator too)

Bake at 225 for 1 1/2 hours.  Turn oven off, cool meringues in closed oven 1 1/2 hours or until dry.  Carefully remove the meringues from the paper. 

Makes 5 dozen.





No comments:

Post a Comment