Monday, April 26, 2010

Calzones


These calzones were amazing!  I usually make homemade pizzas, but don't think I've ever made a calzone before these.  I have no idea what took me so long!  I think we liked this better than pizza!  I have a great recipe for homemade pizza dough....but today I didn't use it.  I decided to go the lazy route and use a premade dough.  I cut it into eight balls of dough and began the calzones!


 

I prepped my vegetables by chopping the onion, red pepper, mushrooms, spinach, and cheese.  Then I dusted my work space with flour so that the dough would not stick, and started with the first ball of dough.  I rolled it out into a 6-8 inch round, spread tomato paste on the dough and sprinkled on oregano, salt and pepper on top. 


 

I added the onions, red pepper, mushrooms, spinach, provolone cheese and a slice of proscuitto on top.  Then I folded the calzone in half and crimped it closed with my fingers.  And onto a baking stone that had been sprinkled with cornmeal.

 

They baked in an oven preheated to 350 for about 10-15 minutes.  My youngest son didn't want all the veggies, so I let him make his own.  He spread the tomato paste, added seasonings, provolone and two generous scoops of ricotta cheese.  Next time I will add the ricotta to all of ours with the veggies in it. 

 

The came out perfectly golden brown.


Here is a look at the inside of mine.

As you can see, very simple.  Use whatever you like on your pizza or what you have on hand in your home.  You can always search online for ideas of what to stuff them with if you need to.  I am alway looking up new ways to cook my favorite things.  Everyone loves pizza, so this is a win, win! 

No comments:

Post a Comment