These are addicting and you cannot eat just one. So if you plan to make it, plan to have company! I came across this idea on a food blog called Savory Sweet Life. I have been off the nutella for awhile. It is just too good and I find it calling to me late at night. I can eat it out of the jar without a second thought. For that reason, I stopped buying it. But this recipe tugged at my twix and nutella cravings!
I did notice she had many more recipes with Nutella featured. I had to turn away. I'm going to baby step it back into my life. I have no will power!
Here are the steps...they are really very easy to make!
Unwrap 24 caramel squares and cut them in half. Microwave them for about 20 seconds so that you can squish them together.
Place two honey-wheat pretzel sticks to the caramel. She recommended the Rold Gold and they are really yummy!
Put the Nutella in a ziplock bag and snip the end. Pipe a pea sized bead in between the pretzel sticks.
Melt dark chocolate and coat each bar evenly. Set on parchment paper and allow to harden in the fridge or freezer. (I put them in the freezer for 10 minutes).
Here is the finished product. You have no idea how delicious these are! Make them. You will not be sorry.
I think next time I will try a bead of peanut butter down the middle. Recees twix bar sounds good to me.
|Chocolate Caramel Nutella Twix Bars|
Makes 12 bars
- 24 – square caramel candies, cut in half
- 24 – 4 inch honey-wheat pretzel sticks like Rold Gold or Trader Joes
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips or your favorite type of chocolate
- optional: sea salt
- Place caramel halves on a plate in a single layer. Microwave the caramels for 8 seconds, just until they are pliable but still firm. With two pretzels side by side in the palm on the hand, line four caramel halves along the pretzel from one end to another. Gently pushed the caramels down using a thumb and index finger to bind the caramel to the pretzels. Repeat this with all the pretzels and caramels.
- Spoon the Nutella into a sandwich bag and cut the tip off. Pipe a pea sized bead of Nutella on the non caramel side of the pretzels. Carefully spread the Nutella across the top surface with the back side of a utensil handle.
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave safe container and microwave for 1 minute and stir until smooth. If necessary, microwave for an additional 30 seconds to get the chocolate smooth. Place the pretzel (Nutella side up) on a fork and carefully dip the pretzels in the chocolate rocking the pretzels side to side to get the pretzel bars completely coated. Lift the bar from the chocolate and allow any excess chocolate to drip off. Place bars on a plate or board lined with parchment paper.
- Place the board in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or the freezer for 10 minutes to help harden the chocolate coating.
If you prefer a more salted chocolate caramel candy bar, sprinkle a little bit of sea salt along the top of each chocolate bar after dipping them in chocolate and before placing them in the refrigerator to set.