Sunday, May 15, 2011

Homemade Pita Chips and Hummus


I love pita chips and hummus!  When I buy pitas in a bag they are so salty and most of the time they are fried.  This is a healthier and tastier version.  You won't believe how easy it is to make your own.  And you can store them in an air tight container!


I found whole wheat pitas at Stracks.  They come 4 to a package for about $1.50.  This will make 48 chips per pack.  Cut them in half and then cut the halved pitas into thirds.  Open the triangles and pull them apart into two pieces.  


Line them on baking sheets with the inside facing up.  Brush with garlic oil.  I used pampered chef's garlic infused canola oil, but you can use olive oil and press fresh garlic into it to infuse your own.  Then sprinkle with salt.  I also used Greek Rub, but you can use any seasoning you like.


Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  Check after 8 because you don't want them to burn!


Now for the hummus.  Drain and rinse one can of chickpeas (no salt added is best). Reserve  1/4 cup of the chickpea liquid. Add chickpeas, 2 garlic cloves, juice of one lemon (1/4 cup), 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and three tablespoons of tahini to a food processor.  Blend and then add the reserved 1/4 cup of liquid.  Serve with a bit of olive oil drizzled on top.

 

I can never wait to plate it.  I LOVE this!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment