Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Smokey Applewood Beer Can Chicken on the Grill


Here's my bird.  He almost didn't make it!  At one point I looked out at the grill and it was smoking an awful lot.  I lifted up the lid and he was on fire!  I put the fire out early enough that our dinner was spared thankfully.

Super easy to make (just keep an eye out for flames!).  I used my new beer can chicken pan from Pampered Chef.  Although I didn't use beer since those of you who know us know we are beer snobs and most of the beer we drink comes in a bottle.  So I suppose I should have titled this Ginger Ale Can Chicken, but you get the idea.  The pan has a removable can holder so that you can use it for other things too, bonus!  


So you combine your canola oil and seasoning (I used Smokey Applewood), separate the skin from the meat with your fingers, and use a basting brush to brush all of that delicious flavor under the skin.  Then you season the chicken on the outside with more rub.  (This is where I think I made a mistake because I put more oil and seasoning and brushed it on the outside.  This may have caused the flames to flare.)  Put your can in the can holder, put your chicken on top, and place it on the grill.


You use indirect heating to cook the chicken.  Preheat the grill on high, then turn it down to medium on either side, but turn off the middle burner.  Watch that it stays around 400 degrees.  Keep the lid closed...I know that seems logical to most, but someone always asks. Turn it half way through so that it cooks evenly.  Keep a spray bottle handy for flare ups!


The bird was cooked perfectly and so juicy in about 1 hour and 15 minutes (5 lb bird).  I cut it up and served it with a fresh salad, roasted brussel spouts, rice and beans, and bakery sliced bread.


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment