Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mexican Pork Carnitas, Cuban Style Black Beans, and Cilantro Lime Rice


I will admit, I have a Chipotle problem.  I know I should get the tacos and the burrito bowl is to much food for me to eat, but I get it anyway sometimes...and feel stuffed the rest of the day.  Especially since you can't eat there and NOT get the chips and guacamole.  Am I right?  

Even if I'm not going there for lunch, when I pass by it I'm secretly wishing I had someone to meet there for lunch.  (I know, sad.  lol)  Needless to say when I saw this recipe there was no doubt I would make it!

There are actually three recipes that I got from skinnytaste.com:  Mexican Slow Cooked Pork Carnitas, Chipotle's Cilantro Lime Rice, and Quick and Delicioso Cuban Style Black Beans.  All were winners with my family.  You can use the leftovers for LOTS of things!


The pork cooks over 8 hours, and you need to prep it by seasoning, browning it on all sides, and inserting whole gloves of garlic into the roast.  Then it goes into the crockpot with some chicken broth and bay leaves.  Your house is going to smell amazing!


For the rice I'm going to let you in on a secret of mine.  It's no secret that I love to cook and bake.  I have made lots of complicated recipes with great success.  HOWEVER, I cannot cook rice to save my life.  With a Dominican husband, this is not cool.  So here is my secret weapon to perfect rice EVERY TIME.  


You put the water and rice into this rice cooker and pop it in the microwave!  Yes, I said microwave.  Trust me...it's delicious.  I use Trader Joe's Jasmine brown rice which can be tricky sometimes, but I follow the Uncle Ben's microwave times for long grain brown rice and bingo...perfect rice.  If you can make rice just fine already, more power to you, but if you need a little help get a Rice Cooker.  All you do once you make the rice is add chopped cilantro and lime juice. 


To make the beans you start with all the veggies and then add beans.  Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.  Easy peasy.


When the pork is done you will easily be able to pull it with two forks and it is so juicy and delicious!  Don't forget to take out the bay leaves as they are inedible. 


Here is my homemade burrito bowl....YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment