Monday, October 4, 2010

Maple Oatmeal Scones


I love a good scone.  I have, however, learned not to order them just anywhere.  They are sometimes dry, hard or just not flavorful.  That said, I like to make my own.  Any recipe that calls for a pound of butter is bound to be good, right?   This recipe came from one of my Barefoot Contessa recipe books...actually my autographed cookbook from Ina!  My husband got me an autographed copy one year for my birthday.  Great present for me as I love all things Ina!  

My kids are known for asking for things that "normal kids" wouldn't ask for:  panini sandwiches, salmon, baked potato chowder, dumplings...I could go on really, but I won't bore you.  This weekend the request was Scones.  I decided to try a recipe of Ina's I've been wanting to for a long time...Maple Oatmeal Scones.


Mix all of the dry ingredients into the mixer, and add one pound of cubed butter.


This is what you are looking for.


Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients.


Mix until just combined.  Do not over mix the ingredients.  Dump out onto a well floured surface.  Flour a rolling pin and roll out to 3/4 to 1 inch thick.


Use a 3 inch cutter to cut out the scones.


 Place them on a sheet pan lined with parchment.


 Brush each scone with egg wash and bake in a 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.


Let them cool 5-10 minutes before adding glaze.


 Drizzle glaze (confectioners sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla) onto the scones and sprinkle with quick cooking oats.


Delicious is an understatement.  Wanna know how many I ate?  Do I dare confess?  Um....FOUR.  Ya, I know.  But honestly you gotta try these!

Could you resist this?  Give it a try and see how many YOU eat! For the full recipe from Ina on the Food Network site, click this link:  Maple-oatmeal scones by Ina





No comments:

Post a Comment