Thursday, October 28, 2010

Gourmet Caramel Apples


Who doesn't love caramel apples?  These are easy to make and look great!  Last year I learned how to make sure the kids don't waste them too.  (You know, when they take a bite and then want to pitch it?)  Use your apple wedger (the stick fits right through the corer!) to cut the apple into slices and share!  Everyone can have a bite and if they want more you can cut another apple!


I am all about the "homemade," but wanting to try this out I was in a hurry and got the caramel sheets you just heat onto the apples.  On the plus side it was easy, on the minus side there was not enough caramel.  Yes, it covered the apple, but I got giant apples and it would need a thicker layer.  Next time I will make my own or melt caramels and double dip the apples in them!


On to dipping.  I had semi-sweet chips in the pantry and used those...they were yummy, but I think next time I will use milk chocolate or dark chocolate. 


I learned about cinnamon chips this year.  Where have I been?  I melted them and put them in a ziplock, cut the end, and used the bag to drizzle the melted cinnamon on the apples.  Oh my that's good!  I found them at Stracks, they were Hersheys brand.  


I also added white chocolate to them using the ziplock as a piping bag.  That's easy and saves on clean up afterward.  You can add anything else you like.  I added pecans to mine, but I've seen m&m's, crushed oreos, holiday sprinkles, you can do whatever you want.


I think they turned out great.  This is great to do with kids too.  They can top with whatever they like!  Have fun with it!  Happy Halloween!

Gourmet Caramel Apples on FoodistaGourmet Caramel Apples

2 comments:

  1. I miss having these treats. They look wonderful!I saw your blog from the foodie blog roll and if you wont mind, but i'd love to guide foodista readers to this post.Just add this caramel apple widget at the end of this post and it's all set. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete