Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tostones


These are great served with Arroz con Pollo or by themselves.  If you have never tried plantains, you should give this a try!  It's simple and delicious.  (In this area the only place I have found green plantains is Meijer.  If you know of another local vendor, please let me know.)

Tostones are sliced plantains fried in oil, smashed and fried again.  I forgo the second frying and just slice and fry the plantains.  Those of you who know me know that I am not a fried food kind of gal, but these are definitely an indulgence that I do enjoy once in awhile!


Two is plenty for our family: two adults and two kids (9 & 5).


To get the skins off of the plantains you need to start by cutting the ends off.  Then slice down the plantain with a paring knife all around it.  Peel each strip off.


Slice plantains into diagonal slices, 3/4 inch thick.


Cook in oil until golden brown.


This is what you are looking for.


Drain on paper towel and sprinkle with salt.


I like them plain like this, and so do the kids.  My husband, on the other hand, likes them dipped in ketchup like fries.  I've also had them with a guacamole type dip on top.  My mother-in-law made it once and I still haven't gotten a "recipe" for it.  :)  One of these days maybe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment