Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Roasted Shrimp with Feta


Yes, there ARE shrimp under there!  :)  I forgot to take a pic of it served up.  This dish is a definite replay at our house.  My husband and I loved it.  The kids would have if I didn't mistake a can of diced tomatoes with chilis for regular diced tomatoes...oops.  BUT it was a delicious mistake most adults would enjoy!

The full recipe is at the end of this post.


I substituted regular onions for fennel since I didn't have any on hand.  It was just fine with onions sauted in olive oil.


Add garlic and cook for one minute more.


Add wine and let it reduce.  Then add tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, salt and pepper to the skillet.  Simmer 10-15 minutes.


Add shrimp.  It said to leave the tails on and I did, but next time I will take them off.  I don't see the sense in it.  I'd rather not have to wipe my hands 5 times when eating my dish.  


Cover with feta cheese.


Mix bread crumbs, parsley and lemon zest with olive oil and sprinkle over the shrimp and feta.  Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.


Squeeze lemon juice over shrimp when you take it out of the oven. 

ROASTED SHRIMP WITH FETA

adapted from The Barefoot Contessa's "How Easy is That?" cookbook

Serves 4
4 tablespoons good olive oil, divided
1 1/2 cups medium-diced fennel (1 bulb) ...I used onion.
1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained ...I used diced tomatoes with green chilis.
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon Pernod ...couldn't find it, so just omitted it.
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
12 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 pounds (16 to 20) shrimp, peeled and deveined with the tails left on ...next time leave them on.
5 ounces feta cheese, coarsely crumbled
1 cup fresh bread crumbs ...I used progresson Italian bread crumbs.
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 lemons

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in 10- or 12-inch heavy ovenproof skillet over medium-low heat. Add the fennel and garlic and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, until tender. Add the wine and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits clinging to the bottom of the skillet, and cook until the liquid is reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes.

3. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, Pernod, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to the skillet. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes.

4. Arrange the shrimp artfully in one layer over the tomato mixture in the skillet. Scatter feta evenly over the shrimp. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, parsley, and lemon zest with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle evenly over the shrimp.

5. Bake the shrimp for about 15 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through and the bread crumbs are golden brown. Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon over the shrimp. Serve hot with wedges of lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment