Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Cornmeal-Crusted Roasted Ratatouille Tart


This recipe comes from Ellie Krieger's The Food You Crave cookbook.  I have always wanted to make ratatouille and when I saw this tart recipe and a garden full of veggies, I couldn't resist.  The crust is made of cornmeal, which is something I've never tried before.  I loved this!  My family did too.  I hope your family enjoys it as well.  Here is what I did:


Prepare the cornmeal crust and press it into a tart pan with removable sides.


Place foil on top of the crust and pie weights (or weigh it down with uncooked rice).  Place on a sheet pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. 


Saute two shallots in olive oil.


Slice eggplant, zucchini, and tomatoes 1/4 inch thick.  Brush with olive oil and add salt and pepper to veggies.   Roast in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.  (To cut these I used a mandolin to ensure they would be the same size and cook evenly.)


Remove sheet pans and allow to cool for at least five minutes.





Lay the eggplant layer in the bottom of the tart pan.


Add mozzarella and basil on top of the eggplant.


Next layer the zucchini slices.


Sprinkle shallots on top of the zucchini.


Another layer of cheese and basil.


Add the roasted tomatoes next.


Add remaining mozzarella cheese, basil and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.


Let the tart rest on a cooling rack for 5 minutes.


YUM.


I served it with grilled flank steak.  To prep the flank steak, I scored it on a diagonal (both ways), which is what gives the look of the X marks on the steak.  I added seasonings, fresh lime juice and olive oil.  Placed it in a Ziplock bag and let it set for an hour.  Turned the gas grill (MY FREE GRILL THAT I WON) on to medium.  Grill it on both sides for about 4 minutes per side.


All I can say is give it a try!  You will not be disappointed!

You can find the recipe here:  www.foodnetwork.com

No comments:

Post a Comment