Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Breakfast Casserole


Some of you know that I am a recipe tester for Clean Eating Magazine.  What does that mean?  It means that I get a list of new recipes to try out and give feedback.  Well, I tried it out and I am going to share it with you.

The first recipe on the list appealed to me because it gave me another use for the tomatoes growing like crazy in my garden.  I had most of the ingredients listed, but decided to just substitute what I didn't have.  Here is what what I did:


Cube 5 cups of bread and put it in a sprayed casserole dish.  


Brown 1/2 a pound of turkey sausage (I used ground turkey and seasoned it well) and 1/4 cup diced sweet onion in a pan.


Mix 1 1/2 cups of skim milk, 6 egg whites, 1/8 cup Pecarino Ramano (used Parmasean since that is what I had on hand), and 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley.  The recipe called for mixing all of this in a blender with 1 re-hydrated chipolte pepper, but since I was making it for the family, I omitted that for the kids.  I did add salt and pepper, about a teaspoon of each.


Add the turkey mixture to the casserole dish.



Add sliced tomatoes to cover on top of the casserole and push them down into the mix.  The recipe called for 2 large plum tomatoes, but I used Roma's since that is what I had on hand...about 4-5.  


Sprinkle a 1/2 cup of Pecorino Romano cheese on top.  (Again, I used Parmesan.  I think the Pecorino would have added much more flavor.)

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 40 minutes.  


Serve hot or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment