Monday, September 20, 2010

Grilled Lamb with Bulgur Wheat and Broccoli


I have been wanting to grill lamb FOREVER.  Why haven't I?  I was afraid to spend the money if I didn't know I could cook it well.  Last time I was loitering in the meat section at Costco, debating whether or not to get this rack of lamb, a man came buy and through them in the cart without a second glance.  I had to ask him how he cooks them.  He told me how he cooks them, and then said, "but my wife throws them on the grill and they are even better."  Okay, now I HAVE to buy them, right?  I actually didn't that day and regretted it until my next trip where I made a B-line to the lamb. 

I read through a lot of recipes and figured simplicity is best.  Olive oil, salt and pepper are all I used on this rack and put them on the grill.  I cooked them for about 5 minutes on each side.  I took them off the grill and sliced them.  They still looked very rare, so I put them on the grill and cooked for one minute on each side.  PERFECTLY medium rare, which is how my husband and I like or meat cooked. 


While all this is going on with the lamb, I made the bulgur wheat.  I found this Toasted Bulgur with Almonds in my Dinner at Home cookbook by Martha Stewart and have fell in love with it.  It is a fantastic side dish to accompany any meat or fish dish and it is just plain yummy.  


All you do is heat up a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add the bulgur wheat.  You toast it for about 5 minutes and then add stock, water, cinnamon, bay leaf and salt.  This boils and then simmers, covered for 10-12 minutes.  In another pan I toast almonds and then add them to the bulger when it is finished cooking.  Be sure to take out the cinnamon stick and bay leaf before serving.


These were so delicious.  If you are not a fan of medium rare, you can cook a minute or two longer.  But remember when the meat rests after cooking it will continue to cook a little bit, so don't over cook it. 


Here was my plate!  Enjoy!  Try it if you have never had lamb.  It is absolutely worth it!  My boys even loved it and had seconds.  (They are 5 & 9.  If they can try it, so can you!)  

Here is a link to the bulgur recipe:  Toasted Bulgur with Almonds by Martha Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment