Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Strawberry Banana Smoothie

My family loves smoothies.  I can't help but make them when the kids ask because they are so darn easy (and healthy!).  I never put ice cubes in my smoothies.  I think it waters down the flavors of whatever you put in them.  This is a favorite smoothie at our house.  The key is frozen fruit.


Frozen strawberries go in first.


Followed by frozen bananas.  I keep a gallon size ziplock bag in my freezer with peeled, halved bananas in it.  When the bananas are very ripe and there is no way we are going to eat them all I freeze them.  I used to leave the peel on, but trust me it is way easier to peel, cut in half ,and throw in the freezer bag.  


Add your milk.  For the kids I use the milk we all drink (skim).  You can use whatever you like.  When I make them for myself I like to use Plain Silk light Soy milk.  I think it makes it even creamier.  The point is, use what you like.  

Start with a cup for one person and two cups for two people (measuring with the ingredients already in the mixer).  If it is to thick, add more milk, a little at a time through the hole in the top of the mixer.  Make it as thick or thin as you like.  

I added a teaspoon of agave nectar to sweeten it, the berries were a little tart.  Use whatever sweetener you like IF YOU NEED IT.  Sometimes the fruit is sweet enough on its own, so don't just add it in or it will be too sweet.


This recipe is very simple, and you make adjustments based on whatever fruit you love (or have in the freezer/fridge).  I also like bananas with a packet of swiss miss diet cocoa.  YUM!  

Have fun coming up with your own recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment