Friday, November 19, 2010

Bangers and Mustard Mash


These "smashed potatoes" as my Marcus calls them were awesome!  He will not eat potatoes unless they are smashed.  I took a gamble with making Mustard Mash, but it was a winner!  Thanks to Ina, again!  What was not a smash, was the chicken sausage I tried to sneak in there.  I get them all the time when the boys want brats.  I don't eat many brats or hot dogs, so I get chicken sausages.  In all fairness, these were a little spicy.  I got the Italian chicken sausages...should have gone with plain.

Instead of dismissing this recipe as a fail...I think you need to use your favorite sausages and it will be fine.  I had seasoned, like I said, that did not make any of the men in my house happy.  BUT I enjoyed it and I know for next time what NOT to make them.


Served it with steamed broccoli.

BANGERS AND MUSTARD MASH
by Ina Garten

serves 4-6

2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick, diced)
1/2 cup milk
4 ounces creme fraiche (I didn't find this anywhere so left it out)
2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard (didn't do this either)
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds fresh veal or chicken sausages (8 large sausages)

Boil potatoes in a large sauce pan with one tablespoon of salt.  Simmer for 20-25 minutes.  Drain and return to pan.  Add butter, milk and creme fraiche and beat potatoes in the pan.  (Use an electric mixer if you like them creamy.)  Mix in the other ingredients.  Add more milk if you need to.

Meanwhile prepare grill and cook sausages about 5 minutes on each side, until brown and cooked through.  Transfer to plate and wrap with foil.  Allow to rest 5 minutes.

To serve, mound a generous portion of potatoes on the plate and top with grilled sausages cut in half diagonally.

No comments:

Post a Comment