Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Pick me, Pick me!

So you all know I'm still pretty much a blog newbie.  I started my blog because people were always asking how I made this dish or that dessert.  They also thought they could never find the time or would have know how to make some to the recipes I make.  Not true.  I'm happy to report that many friends and family members contact me regularly to tell me how they tried something that I posted and the family loved it.  That makes me smile.  

So what is this post all about?  Why is it titled "Pick me, Pick me?"  I am going to try something new.  I am going to try to be selected for an IRON FOODIE Challenge.  I love watching The Iron Chef (the original AND Iron Chef America).  It is exciting and entertaining.  The chefs and cooks who compete create amazing things with the ingredients given.  So to put it plainly...I want to try!  

25 challengers chosen by their answers to 5 questions, will receive a box with 8 secret ingredients. Contestants must use 3 of the 8 ingredients to create their own signature dish. The other 5 ingredients are an extra thank you for participating!  So here are my answers to the questions.  Wish me luck!


1.  Why do you want to compete in this challenge?

I'm a big fan on The Iron Chef.  I love to watch how two chefs take the same ingredients and work their own magic.  It is amazing to see the things they can come up with.  I am in no way comparing myself to the professionals, but I am a foodie that would like to give it a try for myself. 

2.  Limitations of time/space notwithstanding, whose kitchen would you like to spend the day in & why? Julia Child, Thomas Keller, Ferran Adria, James Beard, Marie-Antoine Careme, or The Swedish Chef?

Julia Child, without a doubt!  She paved the way for the chefs on television today that give life and "how to" to the delicious recipes they create in their cookbooks and for their shows...convincing us at home that anyone can cook.  And that it should be enjoyable and shared with the ones we love.  Watching on television helps those of us who did not go to culinary school learn a few techniques that will make our lives easier in the kitchen. 

3.  What morsel are you most likely to swipe from family & friends’ plates when they aren’t looking?

I'm not one for swiping off anyone's plate, but I am a lover of all things chocolate.  I love chocolate cake, cookies, brownies, ice cream, even stout.    

4.  Sum your childhood up in one meal.

Goulash.  My favorite dish that my mom made was Goulash.  Warm and comforting, it always made me smile.  (Come to think of it, I need to get that recipe!)  I'm not sure where she got the recipe.  I don't think it is some handed down by the generations recipe, but I always found comfort in a big, hot bowl.  And the smell that filled the kitchen was amazing.

5.  The one mainstream food you can’t stand?

Fast Food.  I know that is not one food, but I absolutely hate fast food and I cannot remember the last time I have eaten at a fast food restaurant. 

Well, there you have it.  Do I stand a chance?  How many people enter?  What the heck will I create?  Who knows, but it will be fun to be given the opportunity to try.  

Want to try?  Click on the IRON FOODIE link posted to the right!

2 comments:

  1. You definitely stand a chance! You've got some great answers here and after perusing your blog, you've definitely got a great blog as well! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete