Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Banoffee Mess


I love flipping through the cooking shows on television.  I pick up new techniques, watch cooks and chefs prepare new recipes, then I  get to decide if it will end up on our plates for dinner.  It is relaxing, enjoyable and makes me happy.  I caught 5 Ingredient Fix on the food network the other day and immediately looked up the recipe and printed it out!  This is amazingly gooey and delicious:

There is just one thing with this recipe.  You simmer a 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk for 3 hours.  Yes, it says 3 hours.  No, it's  not a misprint.  I know.....but if you are going to be home just put on some water, put the can in and put the lid on and simmer it!  I promise you will not be disappointed!


Now start your homemade graham cracker crust.  And for those of you saying, homemade?  YES, homemade.  It is two ingredients and you can do it.  All you need is two cups of ground graham crackers (I put mine in the food processor), and 1 stick of melted butter.  (I melted mine in the microwave.)  Stir it up and press it into the pie plate.  Bake it for 12-15 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  Let it cool and refrigerate it until you are ready to layer the pie.


After three hours, take out the can and allow it to cool for 10-15 minutes so you can handle the can.  


 Just look at that deliciousness!  It is like a toffee, or so says Claire Robinson who made this recipe.  It tastes amazing!!!!!  


Slice your bananas and put a layer right onto the crust.


Layer the the toffee over the bananas.  Yes, all of it!


Add another layer of bananas. 


 Whisk two cups of cream in your mixing bowl.


Top with fresh whipped cream!  YUMMY!


Looks good, right?




Go ahead and try it!  Next time I will be adding more bananas.  The recipe called for 4 of them and I didn't use the as I was just putting one layer.  Next time I will use two bananas per banana layer and stack up as high as I have to.  I will also add some powdered sugar to the whipped cream.  It is delicious like this, but those are changes I will make for next time.


1 comment: