Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Potato-Leek Soup


I love potato-leek soup.  I will almost always order it if it's on a menu.  But this is my first time trying it out for myself.  This was an extremely easy recipe!  I got it out of my Great Food Fast Cookbook from Everyday Food.  There are a lot of healthy, simple recipes in this book.  I use it a lot.  For me this isn't the "best" recipe, but it is really good.  And with some tweeks it will be fantastic!   I will definitely add another potato next time to thicken it a little bit.

For those of you confused on what a leek is...


...these are leeks.  Leeks have a mild onion flavor and are in the same category as onions and garlic.  They are good in everything.  I think they add a certain yum that nobody can quite put their finger on when tasting.  I've had a cold lingering for weeks and soups just make me feel better.  This soup did not disappoint.


For this recipe, we are only using the white part of the onion.  Just chop the tops off and remove the roots from the bottom.


Cut these in half and then slice them thin.  


Put them in a bowl of water so that the dirt and sand can fall out.  Bring leeks, water, broth, and salt to a boil, then simmer for 25 minutes. 


Puree the soup in batches, then add the cream and fresh snipped chives.


Enjoy!  Add an extra potato!

Here is the recipe I used:

POTATO-LEEK SOUP
Serves 4

6 medium leeks, whites only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise, cleaned
2 cans (14.5 oz each) reduced sodium chicken broth
1 baking potato (8 oz), peeled and diced
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup snipped fresh chives

1.  In a large saucepan, combine the leeks, broth, potato, 2 cups water, and 1 teaspoon salt.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the vegetables are very tender, 20-25 minutes.


2.  Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender, transferring to a clean bowl as you work.  Stir the cream into the pureed soup and season with salt.  Garnish with chives.  Serve immediately.

3.  If desired, chill the soup:  Cover loosely with plastic wrap and chill until cold, at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.  If necessary, thin with water and season with salt.  Serve the soup in chilled glasses, garnish with chives.

No comments:

Post a Comment