Thursday, July 18, 2013

Homemade Larabars



I made four types of homemade Larabars today.   Our family LOVES them, but its so expensive to support their Larabar habit.  No really!   It is!  Those are not cheap, but to make them at home is affordable and more delicious.

I basically did a search on the internet to find recipes and picked the ones that I thought our family would enjoy the most.  I did make the Homemade Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Larabars again.  Still my personal favorite.

I also made the following:
-Caramel Pecan Energy Larabars and Coconut Cream Energy Larabars from Running on Real Food.
(The Caramel bars are not pictured because I am  giving them an overnight in the fridge.  They seemed a little fragile so before I sliced them I wanted to be sure they are going to hold up.)

-Better than Larabars from Bonzai Aphrodite
 
-Hot Fudge Brownie Larabars from  Chocolate CoKatie  (these were my son Nicholas' request)

You can click on any of the above links for the recipes.  You basically put all of the ingredients into the food processor, and mix until it all comes together.  I like to fold parchment paper and leave an overhang on both sides. Then I dump the mixed ingredients into the pan and can fold the excess over the top and use another loaf pan to press them down.  This keeps it clean and makes it easy to lift out when it's firm. 


Since I made so many today, I pressed them and then removed them from the loaf pan and put each one on a large sheet pan with press and seal to keep them fresh.  Then I put them into the fridge.  The bars from the Bonzai Aphrodite made double so I put that in an 8x8 pan and pressed it down.

If you chill them overnight it's best, but I can rarely wait so I keep them in the fridge as long as I can.  When you are ready to cut them, you can flip the parchment under one side (keeps your cutting board clean).  I like to use a cutting board with measurements so that I can cut my bars evenly.


Once I have them cut I bagged them.  Last time I used parchment to wrap them.  First it uses a lot of parchment paper, and second they are fragile so the less you flip them around the better.  I used snack bag sized baggies and it worked great.  I put them in a couple of lock containers and labeled the outside so the kids can see what kinds are in each container.  I store them in the fridge.


Give it a try.  Easy and delicious!  I've got lots more I want to try too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment