Thursday, February 3, 2011

Tri-Color Pepper Steak

 

This dish was chosen by my 9-year-old son, Nicholas.  I like to try new recipes, and for me allowing the kids to choose makes it more likely they will eat it.  I had the ingredients for 4 recipes I wanted to try and let him choose from them.  He picked it, they ate it.  Did I mention my kids don't usually like steak?  They ate every bite.  

The recipe came from Ellie Krieger's latest cookbook So Easy.  I got it for Christmas and have been meaning to try out a few recipes I thought my family would enjoy.  One thing I have found with Ellie's recipes...we need more flavor.  I will definitely season the meat well the next time I cook this dish.  As with any Asian cooking, have all your ingredients prepped and it will be ready fast and taste delicious!


I cut the peppers and onions first and then the meat.  All are sliced in thin slices to cook quickly.


I used flank steak, but the recipe says you could use London broil as well.  I always have flank steak on hand so it was a no brainer for me.  It is a lean cut of meat too!


Once the meat is cooked through you set it aside (along with all the juices) to add back to the dish after the veggies are cooked.


While the veggies were cooking, I cooked brown rice to serve it over.  Now those who know me know I want a rice cooker super bad because I am horrible about cooking my rice!  My solution in the mean time is to get the microwavable bags of brown rice.  They take about 3 minutes and are perfect.  I made two bags since the recipe called for about 3 cups of brown rice.


You add the meat and juices back to the skillet, along with black pepper, and heat through.


The corn starch added to the skillet was supposed to thicken the "sauce," but it still looked pretty juicy to me...not sure why.  It was still delicious and we poured it on our rice and veggies for extra flavor.


Quick and Easy!  Yummy too!

Tri-Color Pepper Steak
  • 4 teaspoons canola oil
  • 1¼ pounds top round, London broil, or flank steak, thinly sliced
  • 5 large assorted bell peppers (such as a mixture of red, yellow and green; about 2 pounds total)
  • 1 large onion, sliced into half moons (about 3 cups)
  • 4 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1½ cups low-sodium beef broth
  • ¾ cup dry red wine
  • 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1½ teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in ¼ cup cold water
  • 3 cups cooked brown rice
Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add the beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer the meat with its juices to a plate.

Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in the same skillet over medium/high heat. Add the peppers and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking until the peppers are softened and onions are translucent, about 5 minutes more.

Return the beef and juices to the skillet and add the broth, wine, soy sauce and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid. Serve over the rice.

Makes 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment