Sunday, February 6, 2011

Asian Noodle Bowl


The Asian noodle bowl went over very well with the family.  The boys only question was, why are my noodles so dark?  I usually use whole wheat noodles, which are lighter than Soba noodles.  I have always substituted whole wheat pasta for Soba in the past because I couldn't find them.  I finally found them at Meijer, in the Asian isle.  I wasn't looking for the right packaging!  Now I know and will definitely use these again.  They cook fast and really authenticate the dish!

As I stated in my post about the Tri-color pepper steak recipe.  When cooking Asian food, have all your prep work done in advance.  It makes the cooking process super quick and easy!


I'm putting this picture in here for those of you wondering what ginger root looks like.  Fresh ginger is so fragrant.  To peel the skin off (thin brown layer), you can use a spoon and just scrape it right off.  It is very easy to do.  Break off a piece of the ginger (however much you need for your recipe) and store the rest of the root in the fridge.  As you see in the pic, the inside is yellow.  I minced it for the recipe.


I have found with many of Ellie's recipes, it just doesn't have enough flavor.  I used Asian Seasoning (Pampered Chef) and Sazon (Goya) on the chicken before cooking it.  The meat was juicy and flavorful!


These are soba noodles.  Of course, you take off the fancy paper that holds them together before cooking!  :)  These are great because they only take about 3-5  minutes to cook!


I love my wok, and use it whenever I can.  If you don't have one, don't worry.  You can use a large skillet and accomplish the same thing.  Have all of your ingredients sliced and in prep bowls so that when it is time to add you can do it right away.  With everything prepped, the dish takes no time to cook.  

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family.   Have some fun and use chopsticks if you like!

ASIAN NOODLE BOWL
by Ellie Krieger from the  So Easy cookbook

8 oz soba noodles or whole-wheat spaghetti
2 tsp canola oil
1 bunch scallions (white and green parts), sliced (save 1/4 C for garnish)
1 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1 15-oz can baby corn, drained
1/2 lb broccoli florets (about 3 cups)
1/2 lb fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Add the noodles or pasta and cook according to the directions on the package.

Heat the canola oil in a wok or very large skillet over medium heat.  Add the scallions and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, about 30 seconds. 

Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, 4-5 minutes.  Add the baby corn, broccoli, mushrooms, pepper slices, broth, and soy sauce and cook, stirring occasionally, until the broccoli is bright green and crisp-tender and the peppers are crisp-tender, 5-6 minutes. 

Add the noodles and sesame oil and toss to combine.  Divide among bowls and garnish with the reserved 1/4 cup of scallions.

Makes 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment