Monday, June 13, 2011

Spring Rolls and California Rolls


I LOVE sushi, spring rolls, all things a Japanese restaurant has to offer.  What I could do without is the high price.  Spring rolls and California Rolls are very easy to  make if you have the tools.  You can fill them with anything you like.  

I found the spring roll wraps and the sushi wrap at Meijer in the international isle.  I looked at a few recipes on line for both, but adapted to what I had in the house and what my kids would like.


I filled these with shredded carrots (used a julienne peeler), cucumbers (cut into thin strips or you could use your julienne peeler), baby spinach (cut into thin strips), shrimp (cooked for two minutes or less in boiling water and halved). rice noodles (about 1/4 cup per roll), and chopped scallions (white and green).

You get the paper wet and it softens.  Add your filling and roll, fold in the sides, then continue to roll. Once you make one you will get the hang of it.


For the California Rolls you put the square of nori down and add about 1/4 cup of rice (I used brown rice, but use what you like).  Fill with your choice of veggies and crab meat.  I used imitation crab, cucumber, carrots, red pepper, and forgot the avocado!!!  They were still good though.  You just roll them up and cut them in pieces.


I served them with these dipping sauces:  Teriyaki, Sweet and Sour, and Light Soy Sauce.  I used the Pampered Chef Teriyaki and Sweet and Sour Sauces, but you can use whatever you like.  I like these because there are no additives in them.

I also made a quick soup for my youngest.  He loves rice noodles in soup.  For a super fast soup warm vegetable or chicken broth. Add veggies, noodles and seasoning.  I put what I had leftover from the rolls into the soup.   He loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment